Thursday, April 8, 2010

Poetry

1) Poetry is a literary art with short texts inducing the reader different emotions such as sadness, happiness, romance, hatred, and so on.

2) Poem for me is when there is a rhyme connecting other words bringing up the tones and flavors of the poetry. When the poem doesn't make any sense to the reader, it is because wasn't a poem.

3) Robert Graves was born in England in 1895. After been severe wounded in the World War I,Graves started practiced what he inherited from his parents, the poetry. Many of Graves poems were about wars such as the Over the Brazier and Fairies and Fusiliers which gave him the reputation as an accomplished war poet. But was an American poetry Laura Riding, who would influence Graves to change his writing style.Graves accomplished an international reputation as a poet, novelist, literary scholar, and translator, and in 1968 Graves received the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry.

William Carlos William was born in New Jersey, USA in 1883 and died in New Jersey in 1963. William was an American patriotic aversed to any other culture, especially to European culture. Although, he knew that his passion was poetry, he decided to become a doctor and practiced both. His major works include Kora in Hell (1920), Spring and All (1923), Pictures from Brueghel and Other Poems (1962), the five-volume epic Paterson (1963, 1992), and Imaginations (1970).


Babylon
by Robert Graves
The child alone a poet is:
Spring and Fairyland are his.
Truth and Reason show but dim,
And all's poetry with him.
Rhyme and music flow in plenty
For the lad of one-and-twenty,
But Spring for him is no more now
Than daisies to a munching cow;
Just a cheery pleasant season,
Daisy buds to live at ease on.
He's forgotten how he smiled
And shrieked at snowdrops when a child,
Or wept one evening secretly
For April's glorious misery.
Wisdom made him old and wary
Banishing the Lords of Faery.
Wisdom made a breach and battered
Babylon to bits: she scattered
To the hedges and ditches
All our nursery gnomes and witches.
Lob and Puck, poor frantic elves,
Drag their treasures from the shelves.
Jack the Giant-killer's gone,
Mother Goose and Oberon,
Bluebeard and King Solomon.
Robin, and Red Riding Hood
Take together to the wood,
And Sir Galahad lies hid
In a cave with Captain Kidd.
None of all the magic hosts,
None remain but a few ghosts
Of timorous heart, to linger on
Weeping for lost Babylon.

Danse Russe
by William Carlos Williams

If when my wife is sleeping
and the baby and Kathleen
are sleeping
and the sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror
waving my shirt round my head
and singing softly to myself:
"I am lonely, lonely,
I was born to be lonely,
I am best so!"
If I admire my arms, my face,
my shoulders, flanks, buttocks
against the yellow drawn shades,-

Who shall say I am not
the happy genius of my household?

4) Both poems reveal the deep emotions from the writers. These poems are easy to understand and imagine yourself in the situation.

1 comment: